Autor Thema: Blackscreen while booting after fresh install  (Gelesen 462 mal)

Offline Appo

• Neuling
  • Grafikkarte: Intel® HD Graphics 620
  • Grafikkartentreiber: free
  • Kernel: 4.14.16-1-MANJARO x64
  • Prozessor: Intel® Core™ i5-7200U
  • Skill: Anfänger
  • Zweig: stable
Blackscreen while booting after fresh install
« am: 09. Februar 2018, 18:53:48 »
Hey there guys!

I bought a new Laptop and wanted to install Manjaro :)
Im not entirely sure if this is the right section for my problem i however hope it is.
Specs:

intel core i5 7200U
Intel® HD Graphics 620
8 GB DDR 4 (2400 MHz)
256 GB SSD (M.2 Pcle)

I am new to Linux and after googling and asking friends i found my way to manjaro. I managed to create a live usb as well as install manjaro just fine but then, when i pressed reboot or if i wanted to boot in general im facing problems. I get a Grub 2.03 GUI and i can choose which "kernel" (im quite sure this isnt correct but i dont know it better) i want to boot.
When the PC continues to boot i get a blackscreen (after seeing some lines of code run through the screen). My googling of this problem really didnt get me far. I found that some people could solve this problem by adding some lines to grub boot code (again im quite sure this isnt the word for it... but maybe one understands what i mean) these are:
nomodeset
i915.modeset=0 (since my PC is running an intel graphics)

This then resulted in me not having a blackscreen but a black screen with a flashing cursor in the top left corner. But still i am unable to either open a console (alt+ctrl+f2/f3) or type anything else in there. It is actually very confusing since the cursor isnt flashing like a normal cursor it rather seems to be "laggy" and when pressing the combination to open a console i sometimes get a line of code saying :
    login:_
but this line disappears after so little time that im unable to really read what it says.

The next thing that i did was to be kinda sad that my effort didnt get me anywhere so i went to sleep. Getting back onto the problem today was very surprising since the PC started up and i was able to login into my account and have a working PC (everything worked i could install packages etc). I then checked graphics drivers and other drivers as well as got an update for Kernel.
(I now have 2 Kernels available :
4.14.16-1 and 4.15.0-1 )
I was glad and thought maybe the problem handled itself but that wasnt the case. When i tried to shut the computer down and boot it i got the same blackscreen without any cursors or stuff on it. Putting the commands in the start options yielded in the same results as discribed in the first part.
Me being me however i tried to boot the pc several times again and it worked (at the 5th time or so) out of the blue. So right now my Pc is working until i shut it down again.... But is there something that i can do to make him boot everytime like he should like installing something or changing drivers or ... ?
I would really like to say thanks to everyone who took his time to read this roman and still help me :).

PS:
Me being new to linux would really apreciate a good and precise order what to do since i do not really know much about linux in general. Also please ignore my bad english abilities.

Offline Appo

• Neuling
  • Grafikkarte: Intel® HD Graphics 620
  • Grafikkartentreiber: free
  • Kernel: 4.14.16-1-MANJARO x64
  • Prozessor: Intel® Core™ i5-7200U
  • Skill: Anfänger
  • Zweig: stable
Re: Blackscreen while booting after fresh install
« Antwort #1 am: 10. Februar 2018, 12:31:29 »
Hello there.

I seem to have found a way to fix this problem.. at least for me right now. Since i have been all lost im trying to explain what i did.
Open console. Edit the mkinitcpio.conf file via:
sudo vim /etc/mkinitcpio.conf
then type in the MODULES coulumn:
MODULES=(i915) #since im using an intel graphics
save the changes you made.
then type in the console:
sudo mkinitcpio -P #updates the ramdisk for all installed kernels or sth..

Then youre good to go. I hope someone that faces a similar problem can use this description.

Have a nice day!
Appo